[Part 3, 1925-1939]

S.S. Peter & Paul's school rebuilt the part that burned Dec. 24, 1924.

March 24 Cardinal Garment Co. organized with C.F. Kruger president, G.D. Fritzsinger Treasurer. They occupied the "Garber Building" a warehouse building now owned by the Biron Cranberry Co. West side, High Street.

Mar. 4. Commander Donald B. MacMillan, Arctic explorer related here before the local Rotary Club his experiences and discoveries in the "far North". He was presented by his friend, Rev. Gardner MacWhorter of the local Episcopal church.

Prentiss-Wabers Products Co. build a modern fireproof factory at 1420 Second St. N. Page 73.

May 6th Contract let by the Water & Light Commission for a modern brick fireproof filtration plant at 16th street at cost of $39,044.19. Page 81.

June 22nd. Witter Hotel, Lester P. Daniels proprietor celebrated a two day house warming as it opened the greatly enlarged and refitted new "Witter Hotel" as it appears to-day. Mr. Daniels bought it in 1920. Page 22.

Nov. 1st Post Office moved from the east side in Wood Block to the West side and occupied the east end rooms of the "River Block" erected by the Consolidated at First and Grand Avenue. Page 34.

McKercher Milling Co. incorporated by B. McKercher, Louise McKercher and I.M. Zimmerman to transact a general milling business in flour and feed. Page 77

Nekoosa-Edwards Paper Co. made the artificial lake now called "Nepco" on the Four Mile creek. South from town on 13.

New numbering of Wisconsin Rapids. A singular circumstance on the east side there is one Avenue, Washington Avenue, while on the west side where all are avenues, there is but one street, Washington Street.

L. Latin & Co. makers of "Parkway Clothes" began business in the "Wipperman Factory". Page 77.

Huntington buildings occupying the west end of Court House block were torn down to complete parking of the court house grounds. Page 21.

Sept. 3rd. Lt. Commander Zachary Landsdowne and crew perished with the cracking up of the giant dirigible "Shenandoah". The "ship" broke in three parts near Caldwell, Ohio. Commander Landsdown was father of Zachary Mackinnon Landsdown whose grand father was F. Mackinnon here.

With January first, 1925 County Court was given "jurisdiction concurrent and equal with that of the Circuit Court in practically all cases" conferred on County Court of Wood County by legislature.

Post office business for the year $50,829.43 exclusive of money order business. This is now a first class office which requires that it does an annual business in excess of $40,000.

April George W. Mead elected mayor for first time by a record vote.

Boy Scout boosters of Stevens Point, Port Edwards and Wisconsin Rapids buy lake frontage on Sunset Lake and established Boy and Girl Scout camp. Pages 94-98.

E. Roenius, pioneer manufacturer and Founder of the Grand Rapids Foundry and the American Carbonic Machinery Co. died at age of 74. April 29th.

Nekoosa-Edwards Paper Co. announce the "first large scale private forestry project in Wisconsin." They will plant 3000 acres in vicinity of Port Edwards and Nekoosa.

Total cost of the Lowell School according to the school board reports of January 9, 1926 to be $121,660.92.

C.A. Normington erects an up-to-date addition to his laundry. Page 11.

November W.F. Huffman bought the Wood County Cooperage building at 311 Fifth Avenue north. This is now the home of the Fey Printing Company. Page 76.

December. Standard Oil Company authorized by City Council to build a "bulk storage" plant on the site of the old "Stange-Ellis" saw mill plant. Later years the Standard Oil became involved in a fire loss from burning tanks. Page 73.

T.E. Nash home sold to George W. Mead. Fine stone house built in 1901 where in 1881 Mr. Nash first built the original frame residence. See pictures page 85. Located at 730 First Ave. S.

Sept. 12, Eatmore Products Company organized by F.J. Benkowski, Tony Edwards and Raymond Peltier to manufacture sausage and handle meat products.

July. Common Council voted $5000 for Municipal and Athletic field payable $1000 annually.

May 12. D. M. Huntington died at age of 72. He was the second operator of the local fire engine and held this position for nearly forty years, and was the permanent secretary of the Volunteer Fire company formed in 1888.

May. The Episcopal Congregation received a gift of the "Farrish Lots", First St. and Grand Avenue, for church purposes From Mr. and Mrs. Isaac P. Witter. Page 44.

January. John E. Alexander became general manager of Nekoosa Edwards Paper Co.

May 21. Captain Charles Lindbergh reached Paris, France from New York in a non-stop flight with his "WE" plane "Spirit of St. Louis".

May 28. State Convention of Catholic Daughters of America with 35 cities represented.

June 23-28. Convention of the Missouri Lutheran Synod held with delegates from Lutheran Churches. 3000 in attendance at open air services Sunday.

June 28. A $10,000 fire broke out in the "Sugar Bowl" at 170 Second St. S.

June. Prentiss Wabers Products Co. complete enlargement of their fireproof plant by further additions. See picture page 73.

Aug. 20. The annual convention of postmasters representing some 75 cities held here.

Aug. 17. Geo W. Baker & Son establish a "Mortuary Home" of the former D.J. Arpin residence at 820 First St. North. Page 58.

Sept. 2nd. Second annual pageant "The Garden of Memory" at Lincoln Field House over 2000 in attendance.

Nov. 18. County Board voted $65,000 for the construction of a "Home for the Aged". Page 52.

December 24. Isaac P. Witter gave $5000 for the improvement of the Lincoln Athletic Field.

Feb. 2nd Mayor George W. Mead is appointed Regent of the University of Wisconsin by Governor Zimmerman.

March 7 Council approves the application to establish a Gas Plant

April 27. Krohn & Berard establish a funeral home at 240 First Avenue S. Page 58.

July. George W. Mead announced his candidacy for United States Senate.

Oct. 9. 32nd Annual convention of Wisconsin Federation of Women's Clubs held here with 400 delegates.

Oct. 8. Frank W. Calkins appointed County Judge to succeed Judge Craig P. Connor deceased.

August. Tri-City Airways Incorporated. Built the first air port landing field with 320 acres west of the Two-Mile School house. Page 78.

July. Local Kiwanis club organized.

July 26. Tri-City Airways Inc. incorporated by John E. Alexander, Isaac P. Witter and G.D. Fritzsinger. To maintain airport site and buy and sell airships of all kinds. Page 78.

Sept. 27. Wisconsin League of Building & Loan Association held here. It was the 32nd annual meeting.

Oct. 12. Nekoosa-Edwards Paper Co. bought a huge tri-motor Ford Monoplane. Page 78.

Oct. 21. New County "Home for the Aged" opened on this date with Mr. and Mrs. James Case as superintendent and matron. Trustees L.P. Daniels, chairman, C.A. Jasperson and H.C. Hambright associated members of committee. Page 52.

Oct. 20-21. Dedication of the Tri-City Airport. 45 foreign aeroplanes here for the dedication. See picture page 78.

Oct. 30. F. Mackinnon, a pioneer manufacturer of hubs and spokes died this day at the age of 79 years and 7 months.

Dec. 22. St. John Episcopal church, west side burned. It was built in 1877. Page 44.

Dec. 27. Isaac P. Witter donates $2500 to each the Forest Hill and Calvary Cemeteries.

July 30. Corner stone laid for the Episcopal church at Third and West Grand Avenue. Page 44.

August 3rd. Ringling's circus came to town. Page 78.

Aug. 24-25. Garden Clubs first flower show held in Legion Hall.

Aug. 29. T. A. Taylor received a letter, self addressed, which made the trip around the world in the "First Round the World Flight" on record in the Graf Zeppelin. Lakehurst to Lakehurst round the world and back to Lakehurst. Postage on this was $3.35. The "Trip to Germany" on the Graf Zeppelin in 1928 was the first Zeppelin flight from United States to Germany. Also a self addressed letter by Taylor. This cost was $1.00. Page 92. [This item is missing.]

Dec. 19. R. A. Peterson, efficient and constructive Wood County Agent, accepts position as Chief of the new Co-Operative Marketing Division of the State.

Post Office receipts for the past year $68,684.29.

January 19th. Dedication of the Episcopal Church and acceptance of the rectory. Page 44.

January. H.R. Lathrop is newly appointed County Agent.

Feb. 21. Geo. N. Wood, historian, pioneer real estate operator who with his brother Franklin J. Wood bought the Nekoosa power from Moses M. Strong, died at Riverview Hospital. Page 10.

Sisters of Notre Dame convent built at 241 Mill St. Page 43.

L. J. France elected Feb. 27 as Boy Scout executive. Pages 94-98.

George W. Mead re-elected Mayor for the 3rd term with record vote. Page 3.

City adopted municipal election method for selecting its school commissioners. Doing away with the old "Town meeting" system in vogue since 1872.

May 14. Population of the city according to census is 8721.

July 4. Pageant and Floats. See pages 60 to 67 inclusive for pictures.

Tower top of the court house changed from the wood shingle construction to the brick "Castellated" wall form. Page 21.

May. Frank J. Henry awarded the general contract for construction of the "New Lincoln" High School at cost of school completed estimated at $550,000 for which a special election in June approved. Page 14.

June. Congress voted $125,000 appropriation to be used for a Post Office building here. Page 28.

January. 1st. L. Latin & Co. Clothing Co. sold to William Sonnenschein and Samuel Sigel, makers of the "S & S" brand of clothes. Page 77.

Feb. 21. Local Chapter of National Aeronautics Association organized here. Jere D. Witter, President; George T. Frechette, Secretary.

Local organization of Girl Scouts formed with C.A. Normington president.

April. School board members elected at spring election.

April 7. American Gas Construction Co. of Minneapolis granted a franchise to operate a gas plant in the city.

April 12. Standard Oil tank fire caught from running grass fire caused about $100,000 damage to near by property on West Grand Avenue.

April. Workmen began clearing off the buildings and grounds on block facing East Grand Avenue preparing for the new Post Office building. Post office to cost $100,000 when completed. Page 28.

April 23rd. President Fred W. Sargent of the Chicago and Northwestern Ry. addressed a joint meeting of all the clubs in the city at a luncheon at Elks Club. Mayor George W. Mead introduced the speaker.

May 28. The last class to graduate from the Old Lincoln was the first class to hold their graduating exercises in the Field House of the New Lincoln. Page 14.

May. New Lincoln School and Field House completed and school dedication and exercises held last week in May. Cost completed was $600,000. Page 14.

May 29. Mayor George W. Mead dedicated the New Lincoln School and Field House. This Lincoln Field House was the largest and best of its kind outside of Madison at this time. The building of the Lincoln School and Field House was the crowning achievement of Mayor Mead's administration. Page 14.

July 1st. Street car line between Nekoosa and Wisconsin Rapids abandoned and tracks removed.

June 8. School board gave the American House Wrecking Co. of Chicago the contract for tearing down the Old Lincoln School buildings. See picture page 16.

June 29. "All existing records for heat in June were broken to-day with temperature at 101 degrees above zero, in the shade."

July 5  Pageant Parade shown in pictures pages 60-67 inc. 

Aug. 16. Laying of the corner-stone for the new Church for St. Lawrence Congregation at 10th Ave. north. Page 48.

Aug. 17. Franklin J. Wood, pioneer builder and banker died. Page 10.

Aug. 15. Citizens National Bank assets sold to the First and Wood County National Banks.

Oct. "New Convent Home" of the Sisters of Notre Dame completed at 241 Mill St. in the Catholic Church Block. Page 43.

Oct. 1 Vicarage of St. John's Episcopal Church finished and accepted at 111 Third St. S.

Oct. 18. St. John Episcopal Church consecrated by Rt. Rev. R.H. Weller, Bishop of the Diocese. Page 44.

Charter granted local Lions Club on March 24.

Nov. 11. Armistice Day parade see pictures pages 68-69.

Feb. 8. Pope Pius XI confers title of Monsignor on Rev. Fr. Win. Reding, who for more than 24 years was pastor of the S.S. Peter & Paul Catholic Church.

Jan 9 Contract awarded to Immel Construction Company of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin to build the Post Office. Contract price was $77,843.00. Page 28.

March 7. Construction work began on the Post Office building. Page 28.

May 6th. State High School Band tournament held here, of the Wisconsin School Bands & Orchestra Associations. See pictures pages 99-102. Over 60 bands took part in the big procession. Parade awards went to
Menasha High First
St. Mary's Menasha Second
Wisconsin Rapids Third
Eau Claire Fourth
Green Bay Fifth

Memorial Day parade. Boy and Girl Scouts, High School and City Bands. See pictures page 70.

Memorial Day services. Only three survivors of the local G.A.R. Post W. J. Fisher, James Gibson and Charles O. Baker.

June 12. St. Lawrence Catholic Congregation dedicated their church by Most Rev. Bishop Alexander J. McGavick of La Crosse with local pastor Rev. Fr. S. P. Mieczkowski at 10th Ave. N. Page 48.

Aug. Call Nason died. She was the only woman manager of a pulp and paper mill plant. Page 7.

March 1st. Post Office opened to public at 320 E. Grand Ave. Page 28.

April 7. Prohibition ended in 14 states including Wisconsin on the legalizing 3.2% beer and wines.

April 5. Wisconsin voted the repeal.

April 4. Donald Lipke, age 25, son of Mr. and Mrs. E.W. Lipke at 521 9th St. was killed in the crash of the "Akron", the United States dirigible. He was a first class aviators machinist's mate.

Aug. 20. Lincoln High School Band received "First" in class "B" for parading and maneuvering and "Second" in same class in concert class at state band tournament at Madison, Wisconsin.

July. Bill authorizing Wisconsin Valley Improvement Co. to construct reservoirs on the Big and Little Eau Pleine rivers in Marathon, Portage and Wood counties. When the Eau Pleine reservoirs are completed it will supply added water power to all the mills below Mosinee, Stevens Point, Wisconsin Rapids, and The Port and Nekoosa will be greatly benefited.

July Monday the 10th. 400 Florists here to hold their 16th annual convention.

Sept. Mrs. Laura Mae Corrigan, a former home girl known to her intimates as Laura Whitrock, sent checks totaling $10,000 to local organizations. Methodist Church, Congregational Church, South Wood County Chapter of Red Cross, Riverview Hospital Association, Board of Education, T.B. Scott Library, Women's Federation for relief work and Wisconsin Rapids Unemployment relief fund.

Sept. 19-20 State Bakers Convention. The 28th annual one held here. H. A. Herschleb, who will be 65 years old on the following Saturday Sept. 23 has been in the bakery business for 46 years. Is now succeeded by his son Jerry.

November. The amount of the first checks issued for the CWA projects amounted to $2593.00.

December. Tom Utegaard appointed Regional Director of CWA work in Wood, Clark and Portage counties.

Cemetery irrigation system and the retaining wall along the river bank between Armory and the bridge approved. CWA project.

March 22nd. CWA work stopped on the projects.

April 4. Common Council voted to build the entrance gate to the Athletic Field. Page 15.

May 9th. Most unusual and destructive "dust" storm came in from the western state. Several others followed of unusual severity.

June. City built plant for the "S & S" Clothing Co. on west side between 11th and 12 avenues south. Page 74.

July 2nd. Sunday. The Chicago Fireman ball team played local team at the Athletic Field. Fire Chief A.C. Miller pitched the first ball, called a strike as usual. See picture page 16.

July 4th. Lincoln Athletic Field Gate dedicated. See pictures page 15.

Aug. 7th. L. M. Alexander, one of the pioneer paper mill men and organizer of the Nekoosa-Edwards Paper Co. died. Page 5.

Wipperman factory burned. See picture page 77.

August. Wisconsin Rapids Clothing Mfg. formerly the "S & S" Clothing Co. began operations in the new city built plant at 11th and 12th Aves. S. Page 74.

May 31. Memorial Day. W. J. Fisher and James Gibson, the only remaining G.A.R. members of the local Post still alive were in attendance. Mr. Fisher spoke on the origin of Memorial Day.

Oct. 27-28. Rally of Circuit No. 5 North Wisconsin District, Missouri Synod Lutheran Church, with over 1600 in attendance came in from all over the state.

Nov. 7. Alderman Fred H. Jackson died. He was born in Centralia in 1847 His father was the first postmaster in Centralia. Page 39.

June 7 Dedication of the Lincoln Field lighting system shown on page 126. This is the first game played under the lights.

December 21 George W. Paulus died at Palo Alto, California at age of 73. Mr. Paulus was at one time principal of the West Side High schools and later vice president of the Citizens National Bank. Mr. Paulus married Stella Jackson, adopted daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. J. Jackson, Centralia. Surviving Mr. Paulus was his wife and a daughter of Mrs. John Anderson, and son George Jr.

June 30 Sunday Sheboygan - Wisconsin Rapids baseball game dedicated the installation of the lighting system for Lincoln field.

July 3rd. Opening of the public service station in Lyon Park.

July 27 Permission granted for the building of the Big Eau Pliene reservoir.

August 19. Acceptance of the Historical and Pictorial books prepared by Tom Taylor and directed by the City Council to be placed in the T.B. Scott Public Library.

August 20. Drum Corp of the local post of American Legion at State Convention.

November 11 State-wide observance held here of the veterans of Foreign Wars.

November 15 S. N. Whittlesey died at the age of 86. Sherman Newell Whittlesey came to marsh near Cranmoor in 1871 and moved to Centralia where he engaged in mercantile business with Frank Garrison from 1878 to 1884. 

Mr. Whittlesey was one of the pioneer growers of cranberries. At the time of his death his marsh covered some 1000 acres of reservoir with 75 acres cultivated marsh.

Mr. Whittlesey was married to Anne Elizabeth Downs at Hyde Park, Ill May 10. 1875. Mrs. Whittlesey died in 1928. Of the three children there are two surviving-Charles of Fargo, N.D. and Mrs. C.A. Jasperson of Port Edwards, Harry died in 1928.

November 18. Junior Chamber of Commerce organized. George T. Frechette, president, George Berntsen, vice president, G. E. Parkin 2nd vice pres Don Bridelden, secretary.

November 29. Dr C.A. Boorman retires from active practice of medicine established here in June 1888 but continued to reside here.

January 5 Wm Corcoran age 94 died. "Billy" was a timber cruiser connected with various lumber companies. He was Wood County surveyor for several years. Mr. Corcoran was born in Ireland February 21,1842 and came to this country when 16 years old. He lived in this community continuously except time spent with members of his family.

January 16. John Hostvedt appointed delegate from the National Ski Association of America to the International Ski Federation congress at Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany. Mr. Hostvedt embarked on SS Manhattan for Hamburg, Germany on January 29. To be in attendance from Feb. 11 to 14. Mr. Hostveld was one of the founders of the local Tri-Norse Ski club here

January 23 Mercury at 30 below here for a new low mark

January 25 Mercury dropped to an all time low mark of 31 below zero

February 16 Year's lowest mark reached this morning was 37 below zero. The past 30 days have broken all records for sustained intense cold in central Wisconsin. Heavy snow fall reported throughout the state. Near by localities reported 10 foot drifts.

Winter of 1935 Lowest reading was 37 below; Feby 24, 1928 low mark of 41; On Feby 24, 1929 a still lower mark of 43 below

February 19, John Purvis died - reviewed elsewhere.

March 21, Death of Mr. L. M. Nash reviewed elsewhere.

February 29 Mrs. George R. Gardner died at her home here at age of 84. Mrs. Gardner was a resident of this city for 63 years. She was the wife of George R. Gardner, a very prominent lawyer. Mrs. Gardner was a very active church member of the First Congregational Church and in many of the local service societies. Mrs. Gardner was very highly regarded in the community.

March 10 Mrs. Fred Bossert died at General Hospital Madison at age of 67. She was the wife of Fred Bossert -the veteran coal dealer. Mr. and Mrs. Bossert were always prominent in local and church activities.

March 10 August Neibauer, a resident of this locality for 54 years died at age of 72. He was a well known citizen and member of the Holy Name Society. He was survived by his widow and ten children and 23 grand children and three great grandchildren.

March 14 Mrs. A. L. Ridgman died at Rochester, Minn. at age of 60. She was married to the late Dr. Ridgman January 5, 1911 and survived him by several years. She was an active and pleasant member of several local societies.

 March 31 Joseph Rick, a resident for 50 years in the city and country died at 920 Baker St. at 86 years. One of the organizers of Grand Rapids Brewery Co. One time under sheriff.

April 1 Warren Beadle Jr. appointed mill manager of the Biron division of the Consolidated W. P. & P. Co. Mr. Beadle is the successor of the late John Purvis.

April 16 Herman Abel died at age 74. Mr. Able resided here 54 years.

April 30 Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd - world famous polar explorer arrived here from an afternoon engagement at Wausau, and spoke to an audience of 1300 at the field house of Lincoln School beginning at 8:20 P.M. Admiral Byrd lauded the 110 men who accompanied him, during address, and showed some 9000 feet of film of moving pictures of most entertaining and educational experiences.

May 2 Floyd Smith formerly of Reedsburg, appointed superintendent of schools.

May 5 Common Council of Wisconsin Rapids adopted a resolution authorizing State Highway Commission to proceed with overhead location on Highway 54 near the cemetery - see illustration

May 7 Ford-Hopkins Co. bought Otto Pharmacy inc. took ten year lease of Consolidated 

May 21 Charles E. Briere - a prominent attorney died at age of 52. reviewed elsewhere in this book.

June 30 Albert B. Bever, Clerk of the Wood County Circuit Court died at age of 58. reviewed elsewhere in this book.

 July 13 Mercury hit all time high hit 107 at 2 P.M.

July 15 The extreme heat wave on this day is shown in the following schedule for the various hours of the day:

7 a.m. 88 above
8 a.m. 93
9 a.m. 99
10 a.m. 102
11 a.m. 104
12 a.m. 106
1 to 3 106

August 29 Frank Stahl at age of 78 died to-day. He lived in this community for the past 50 years during which time be served two terms as sheriff and seven terms as city treasurer. He engaged in harness business with Henry Kuntz for two years from 1887.

Sept. 30 Mrs. M. O. Potter, widow of the late M. O. Potter, died at her home at age of 80. Mrs. Potter made a gift of a fine electric organ to the Methodist Church of which she was an ardent member.

October 11 The first streamline engine pulling the "Hiawatha" came into this station of the C. M. & St. P. Ry at 2:35 p.m. See picture section.

October 31 Albert L. Fontaine died to-day at age of 77. Reviewed elsewhere in this book.

 November 23 Wood County Agricultural School received grant of $14,400 by Public Works Administration to construct addition for gym. Cost $32,000

December 3 John Brennen Sr., one of the oldest pioneers and lumberman died at age of 83. Reviewed elsewhere in rafting section.

January 17 E. S. Renne, one of Wood County's oldest residents died at age of 81 at 12 noon to-day. "Ed" served as county clerk from 1896 to 1898 and elected again to serve from 1900 to 1904. He was one of many county officers elected from Marshfield and north end of the county to come and permanently reside here. For the past 12 years Mr. Renne operated a grocery store in Town of Grand Rapids a short ways out of the city limits.

January 19 J. R. Passineau died at age of 83 and at the time of his death he was the oldest living resident in the city. Early day logging and lumbering were his occupation. He made 12 trips down the river with logs to St. Louis. He was born on the west side in 1853 in what was called "Neeves" logging shanty located at First Ave. So. He was gifted with a good memory for event of the early days on the river.

March 23 The new Assembly hall addition to the Wood County Normal school was let to-day to Frank J. Henry. Bid was $25,195. Heating contract went to R. Wenzel of Appleton at $6,384.00. Electric contract given to Wood County Electric Co. at $861.00. J.E. Farley received contract for plumbing at $2660.00. Building will contain assembly room 32 x 56 - class rooms 22 x 32 and 17 x 32 and gym 54 x 70 feet.

April 23 Nash block fire started about 3 a.m. resulted in loss of $25,000. Stock for Montgomery Ward and Nash Hardware and offices badly damaged. See review with pictures.

May 10 Consolidated began operations for addition to paper mill for number 5 machine. Reviewed with pictures.

May 10 Consolidated began operations for new addition to Biron mill. Reviewed with picture of mill.

June 5 I O O F and Rebecka joint annual state convention. Reviewed with picture of the Rebecka.

June 27 Gross Bros. terminal warehouse near Milwaukee depot completed. Reviewed with picture.

June 16 Frank Wagner died at age of 78. Mr. Wagner was born here on May 12, 1859. He was locomotive fireman on Green Bay and later actively associated with the fire department under volunteer organization.

July 25 R. Rev. Msgr. William Reding celebrated his 30 years service here by a surprise testimonial banquet given by the Knights of Columbus. Msgr. Reding was recipient of many choice gifts.

Sept. 2 B. R. Goggins died at age of 80, reviewed elsewhere.

Sept. 18 John J. Henry died at Palo Alto at 91, reviewed elsewhere.

Oct. 23 Dr. Oscar N. Mortensen died here at age of 51. Dr. Mortensen was well and favorably known as a physician and surgeon, in this city for 15 years. A Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. ill health caused him to retire from practice in 1931. Survived by widow and son Robert.

Oct. 25 George L. Warren -65- died at 9:15 a.m. Mr. Warren was born here Feby 22, 1872. He married Mary A. Hamm Nov. 20, 1901.

November 13 E. P. Arpin occurred on this date. A review is found elsewhere in this book with portrait.

January 7 R. F. Matthews died at age of 67 at the hospital. Mr. Matthews was associated with his brother Charles in the Matthews Brothers Music Co. for 12 years ending in 1929. Previous to this he conducted a tailoring business. Soon after coming to this city he became the band director for several years.

Sam H. Smart died at his home on this date at age of 88. Mr. Smart had a long career in the lumber business and at one time had charge of the yards for the John Edwards Lumber Co. at Port Edwards. With Theron Lyon they organized and operated the Lyon & Smart saw mill for several years. A picture of this mill is found in the picture section. In 1908 he started the Ideal Theatre in the frame building then located in the rear of the Wood County National Bank which was later removed to make needed room for bank parking.

February 7 The new Number 5 paper machine of the Consolidated turned out its first spool containing 4500 pounds of coated paper on this date. The machine has a sheet width of 125 inches. It is built to carry out a contract to furnish "LIFE" with this coated paper.

Donald P. Johnson ended his life to-day at his home at 10:45 a.m. Mr. Johnson was born on west side, then Centralia, December 29, 1892. He served in the World War and was commissioned a lieutenant in the aviation corps, remaining in France with the A.E.F. until armistice. He was a member and active in Johnson & Hill Co. Mr. Johnson graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 1916. Ill health unsettled his mind.

February 13 John T. [possibly I, text is unclear.] Hammer, one of the most faithful and efficient janitors in the public school system died at age of 79. After leaving school after a service of 25 years, he was janitor for the T.B. Scott Public Library and was greatly appreciated for his work.

March 19 Herman Ristow died at age of 65. He was employed by the Consolidated for many years and rated at a skilled workman. Mr. Ristow was prominent in civic affairs and served 12 years as alderman from the sixth ward.

April 26 John Carden, a pioneer lumberman during the early days, died at age of 89. Mr. Carden had lived in this community for nearly 70 years. He was well and favorably known along the river.

June 4 Matt Carey, who was widely known during the 35 years he waited on customers at Johnson & Hill's stores, died this day at age 76. After Matt left John & Hill, he went with the Wisconsin Valley Creamery Co. where he remained until his retirement after being with the 11 years. Matt was a genial clerk and good neighbor.

June 6 George W. Lynn, one of the skilled mechanics who served the Consolidated for over 17 years, died this day at age of 78. Mr. Lynn was son of one of the pioneer families, Mr. and Mrs. James Lynn and was born near Point Basse May 27, 1860. Mr. Lynn enjoyed the friendship of George W. Mead, who considered his as one of his most trusted men. Mr. Lynn retired in 1920 because of failing eyesight.

June 17 The Charles Hagerstrom Post No. 9 -American Legion sold their hall building on Oak Street to the Calvary Congregation. Price said to be $2500. This building was originally the Methodist Church first located on the flat iron at corner of Fourth and Oak Street and built about 1879. It passed to the G.A.R and later to the city and then to the Post.

June 24 3.40 inches of rain that ended at 7 a.m. and it was claimed to be the heaviest rainfall of all record time.

June 30 A new record of rainfall is registered as of this date and being 3.74 inches reported for the past 26 hours and ending at 2 p.m. This exceeds the rainfall of June 24 last.

July 7 James D. Gibson, the last survivor of the local Grand Army of the Republic, died to-day at the age of 90. Further review elsewhere in this book.

August 20 Crooked Rift Rod and Reel Club, the oldest sportsmen's group in Central Wisconsin held its 45th annual meeting at the club's cottage Saturday evening August 20, 1938. This club has never failed to hold its annual meetings since its formation in 1893. Officers reelected A. J. Hasbrpuck president, Dr. Edward Hougen vice president, D.B. Philleo treasurer, Sam Church succeeded Will Reeves as secretary.

 Sept. 10 Heaviest flood of positive record on the Wisconsin River made a record of 14 feet on the next day. The river flow was estimated at 69,500 cubic feet per second probably equaling the flood of 1880 estimated at 70,000 but not actual record then.

Sept. 11 1938 Cranberry Festival parade this Sunday with Miss Madaline Sweet as Queen. Picture of parade and reviewed elsewhere

Sept. 12 Carson 0. Burt at age of 59 died at Madison General Hospital. Mr. Burt was born here December 20, 1878 and was well and favorably known. For the past 12 years he was chemist at the Sixteenth Street pumping station and the government weather observer.

Sept. 13 Retiring game warden William A. Cole was given a testimonial banquet by over 200 sportsmen at Biron community hall last evening. Mr. Cole retires November 1st next after serving as game warden for 31 years.

Sept. 15 Mrs. May Goggins Pomainville, wife of Dr. F. X. Pomainville, died at age of 62. Mrs. Pomainville was a sister of the late B. R. Goggins. She was married to Dr. Pomainville Oct. 1, 1899. Surviving her, besides her husband, is a son Dr. Frances, three daughters Mrs. W.F. Lathrop, Janet, and Mrs. Paul Pratt. Though very retiring she enjoyed a wide circle of admiring friends.

Sept. 28 Mrs. William Johnson died at age of 77 at her home at Second Street South. She came as a girl from Norway and first settled with her parents at Port Edwards and later moved to Grand Rapids where she has lived for 48 years. She was a very active member of the Trinity Moravian Church. A very genial lady. Surviving her besides her husband is Ole E. Olson at Mankato, Minn., William, and Helen secretary of the Public school system, Edith Fritzsinger, Lenore Fredrickson.

Oct. 8 City of Wisconsin Rapids received word to-day that the P W A grant of $124,363 was allowed. This 45% of the cost of the proposed Sewage Disposal plant. The city trust add to this its share of $150,627.00. The location of the plant is south of the city and west of the Tourist park.

Oct. 19 Guy Stanton Ford, named to the presidency of the University of Minnesota, was head of the schools here from 1895 to 1898. He resigned to study abroad. The Howe school was the high school in those days. Mr. Ford was a very efficient educator and the schools made decided advancement under this guidance.

Oct. 25 Joseph N. Reiland died to-day at his home at the age of 68. Mr. Reiland was a prominent member of the common council serving as alderman from second ward for many terms. By trade he was a skilled carpenter.

Oct. 25 Anton P. Hirzy died here, after a lingering illness, at age of 69 years. Mr. Hirzy was a well known jewelry merchant and active in civic affairs. He was very fond of the band and a very capable addition to it. He was obliged to retire from active business after 45 years of business life. He is survived by his widow.

Oct. 29 Mrs. M.H. Jackson, wife of M.H. Jackson, first teacher in the County Normal, died at Madison. For the past 11 years they have made their home in Madison. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson resided here for 23 years during Mr. Jackson's connection with the County Normal. When here both Mr. and Mrs. Jackson were very active in the affairs of the Congregational Church. Besides her husband she is survived by her son Clarence now with the Consolidated and her daughter Mrs. Luella Natwick.

Nov. 11 Wisconsin Rapids chapter of the American War Mothers dedicated the bronze tablet Memorial. Picture and members reviewed again.

Nov. 14 The Armory was destroyed by fire which started about 5:30 p.m. and burned until 8:30 next morning. Picture is shown and the story reviewed elsewhere.

Nov. 14 Jacob Lutz died at age of 76 after being confined to his home for some time. Jacob Lutz moved here from Stevens Point in 1880 when his uncle Jacob and his father Andrew bought the Smith Brewery. Jacob has lived here ever since. In 1912 he organized the Grand Rapids Brewing Co. and continued until closed by prohibition. Mr. Lutz was a charter member of the Eagles and served for many years as chief of the local volunteer fire organization.

Nov. 28 Mrs. W. H. Getts died to-day at the age of 91. Sara Page Getts was one of the city's pioneers and had lived here 75 years of her life. Mrs. Getts was the last of the 15 charter members of the Wisconsin Rapids Women's Relief Corp.

Nov. 28 Dean B. Philleo died of a heart attack at 1 p.m. this day. Mr. Philleo had been in ill health for some time. His picture and activities are related elsewhere in these books.

Dec. 18 Sam Church, the city's veteran druggist died at age of 72. His life reviewed elsewhere in this book.

Dec. 19 Mrs. Frank Rourke died at 10:3a a.m. at age of 70. Mrs. Rourke was wife of the late Frank Rourke who for many years was prominent as general merchant. Mrs. Rourke lived here for 55 years.

Jany. 20 Mrs. Edw. Bodett Sr. died at 2:20 this morning at age of 85. Mrs. Bodette had live here 67 years. Her husband Edward proceeded her by several years. Both were of the early families to settle here and were well liked.

[January] 24 E. B. Smart, for more than 30 years manager of the Wood County Telephone Co., died at his home to-day at age of 59. He was well known and well liked and a very efficient telephone manager.

Feby. 4 Don Smart elected as manager of the Wood County Telephone Co. He succeeds his late brother E. B. Smart.

March 17 C. L. Noble father of the Mayor died at age of 82. Mr. Noble had resided here for 60 years. He was a carpenter by trade and highly regarded by his friends.

[March] 29 Mrs. Clarence Jackson died unexpectedly at the home of her parents Mr. and Mrs. Ira Read at Chicago March 28th. She had not been in the best of health for some time. She is survived by her husband Clarence, mill manager of Consolidated and daughter Jane a student at Lawrence college, Appleton.

May 20-June 7 Tri-City Airport was the scene of the arrival of the Air Squadron. pictures are shown and review elsewhere.

June 17 Mrs. Edwd Hougen, wife of the well known doctor Ed Hougen, died at her home at age of 58. Picture and reviewed elsewhere.

[June] 25 Chas A. Klug, for over 24 years janitor of the Howe School, died at his home at age of 84. Mr. Klug resided here for 39 years. He was one of the many faithful and efficient janitors of the school system.

July 3 H. C. Wipperman died at Chilton, Wisconsin at age of 87. Mr. Wipperman moved here as a young man and entered a law partnership with B. R. Goggins. Soon after elected as assemblyman from Wood County. he became very active for many years in local politics. He was brother of Chas Wipperman who came here at same time and built the Wipperman furniture factory.

[July] 11 Mrs. Barbara Hamm, one of the towns pioneer merchants, died at her home at age of 88. Mrs. Harm conducted a successful general store for more than a quarter of a century and because of ill health retired from active work. She was succeeded by her daughter Mrs. Beardsley who is active in the grocery business. Mrs. Hamm built the brick block which she occupied and now by Mrs. Beardsley.

[July] 15 Lloyd L. Felker Co. of Marshfield purchased the Julian Hotel property and will raze it and build a perfectly appointed gas station. Picture and reviewed elsewhere.

[July] 24 The 35th Annual Convention of the Wisconsin Rural Mail Carriers Association held at 3 day convention. 400 delegates were in attendance. The Ladies Auxiliary were also in attendance.

Aug. 24 T. E. Mullen, a veteran salesman for Joannes Bros. of Green Bay died at age of 70. "Tom" was born in Belleville, Canada December 22, 1869 and came to Grand Rapids when 7 years old. A born salesman. 1891 he joined the sales force of Joannes Bros. of Green Bay and in 1933 they placed him in position of sales manager which position he held at the time of his death. Mr. Mullen was brought here from Green Bay and buried in the family lot August 28.

Sept. 15 A.D. Hill received the appointment of "Colonel" by Gov. Hell to serve on his staff. Mr. Hill is the 78th appointment.

[Sept.] 22 Assembly of Wisconsin concurred in the Senate bill and approved the amendment to the powers of the Wisconsin Valley Improvement Company of Wausau, Wis. The original authority was by a law passed in 1907. This new amendment consolidated into one law all the previous permits.

Oct. 28 A. C. McComb, a prominent figure in Wisconsin life of lumber business, died at Oshkosh at age of 82. Mr. McComb was at one time principal of the Centralia schools. While here he platted the McComb addition - now of record- The old school in which he taught was torn down and replaced by the present Lowell.

Nov. 7 Robt A. McDonald, at one time postmaster here died at age of 80. His picture is shown elsewhere and reviewed.

[Nov.] 10 Chief Police R. S. Payne died suddenly while in service, at age of 65.

[Nov.] 20 Officer R.J. Exner appointed to succeed late R. S. Payne as Chief.

[Nov.] 24 Wm. Gross, a natural salesman, died at age of 73 for years he represented the house of Kickbush of Wausau. "Will" was a merchant for many years before going on the road.

Dec. 14 John Starr died at age of 84. A pioneer riverman. Picture noted and reviewed elsewhere.

 Next Section - Pictures in the Album, Part 1