Starting in 1896, the T.B. Scott Free Public Library of Grand Rapids / Wisconsin Rapids operated a traveling library. These boxes of books were shipped throughout South Wood County by train and wagon, bringing culture and education to schools, homes, banks, post offices, and stores. At its height, there were 49 stations. The service was maintained until 1947 and was the last traveling library operating in Wisconsin.
J.D. Witter was the primary mover behind the Traveling Library and his generous donations initiated the service and provided an endowment for its continued operation.
Biography of J.D. Witter (Daily Tribune, 1921)
Traveling Libraries in Wisconsin (off-site)
Traveling Libraries in the United States (off-site)