Memorial Boulder

Page "C"

The Memorial Boulder to the seven Winnebago Indians, was dedicated July 4th, 1923 and is located on the south side of the west end of Grand Avenue Bridge in the park along the river.

The seven Indians are, in the order they appear on the boulder.

Corporal Foster Decorah
Robert Decorah
Mike Standingwater
Nelson B de la Ronde
Jesse Thompson
Dewey Mike
James Greengrass

Mrs. E. J. Clark was the regent of the chapter and the following is quoted from her dedication address:

"The work of the Daughters of the American revolution is along patriotic lines, such as marking old trails, preserving historic landmarks and teaching patriotism and loyalty to our flag. For the success of this achievement we are indebted to the able leadership of our well beloved regent, the late Mrs. Louie H. Mackinnon and the untiring efforts of registrar Mrs. Iva H. Babcock."

The Wisconsin State Historical Society supplies the following information relative to these Indians so far as possible to trace their record.

Jesse Thompson and James Greengrass are not accounted for in the work entitled "Wisconsin's Gold Star List" but the Adjutant General's office may supply this later. Of the others this work has to say:

Corporal Foster Decorah was 40 years of age and was enlisted from Friendship, Wis. He was corporal in the 128th infantry. He was killed in action in France, August 2, 1918.

Robert Decorah, 24 years of age, enlisted from Mauston. He entered the September automatic replacement draft, Camp Mac Arthur, U.S. and died there of diabetes September 7, 1918.

Mike Standingwater enlisted from Mather, Wis. He was a private in the 128th infantry. He died overseas from Pneumonia March 11, 1918.

Dewey Mike was 19 years of age. He enlisted from Neillsville and was a private in the 128th Infantry. He died of wounds received in battle of the Marne and Soissons, August 30, 1918.

Nelson de la Ronde was 23 years of age. He enlisted from Portage Wisconsin National Guards, a private 1st class, 16th infantry, and was killed in action January 23, 1918.

The ad-dah-wa-gam Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution was organized April 17, 1909 and charter granted October 15, 1909. There were 14 charter members. The officers were: Mrs. Emily Phelps Witter, Regent, Mrs. Caroline K. Hoskinson, Vice-regent, Mrs. Kate Barrows Hambrecht Recording Secretary; Mrs. Mae Vaughan, Registrar; Mrs. Louis H. Mackinnon Treasurer; Mrs. Cecelia K. Gibson, Historian.

At the time of the dedication of the memorial which is marked "1919" the following were members of the D.A.R: Mesdames. Lida Alexander; Ella H. Arpin, Ivah C. Babcock, Kathryn Chambers, Josephine Clark, Grace B. Daly, Frances J. Edwards, Cecelia K. Gibson, Edna Goddard, Mildred Jenkins, Louie H. Mackinnon, Adelaid Marvin, Ruth Mac Naughton, Ruth Mead, Mary Downes Peck, Marian H. Ramsey, Ina Johnson Richards, Hallie King Rogers, Olive Ruckle, Mae S. Vaughan, Mary P. Voss, Charlotte G. Witter.

The Indian Agency was established in Wisconsin Rapids February 1, 1915.

Next Section - History