Most used resources
Wisconsin's Digital Library - Our portal to downloadable e-books for Kindle, Nook and other readers, along with audiobooks for media players. Provided in cooperation with other Wisconsin public libraries.
Consumer Reports - Full access to the Consumer Reports website with product ratings and articles.
MCM Podcast - Listen to the McMillan Conversation Maker Podcast! We bring you curated conversations with McMillan Librarians, community members, authors, musicians, artists, and more... Be inspired and entertained.
2-1-1 - Dial 2-1-1 on your phone or visit this website for help finding essential services like food, shelter, counseling, employment assistance and more.
Helpful Links - Links that we use at the library to common websites, helpful references and local sites including links to local government and elected officials.
COVID-19 Links - Get the latest information from federal, state, and local health agencies here.
- Britannica School - Encyclopedia content at elementary, middle and high school levels plus the Merriam Webster Dictionary and two Spanish-language encyclopedias, Britannica Moderna for older students and Britannica Escolar for younger students.
- Britannica Library - Encyclopedia reference center for all ages.
- Explora - A broad range of general information resources for the general public.
- History Reference Center - Full-text history reference resource for student and adult researchers.
- Learning Express - Practice tests and tutorials, as well as some basic instruction in math, language arts, and science (including some topics in Spanish).
- NoveList Plus and Novelist K-8 - Book reviews, annotations, etc., for over 200,000 titles. Helpful whether you are looking for something to read or preparing a report.
- Science Reference Center - Full-text science reference books, images, and periodicals for student and adult researchers.
- Transparent Language - Learn a new language from your computer or mobile device from anywhere.
- Auto Repair Source - Comprehensive auto repair database.
- Creative Bug - Online arts and crafts video lessons.
- Small Engine Repair Reference Center - Detailed, user-friendly repair guides for all manner of small engines.
- Reference Solutions - Source of information on businesses and people for small business owners, marketing professionals, researchers and job seekers.
- Learning Express - Practice job tests and learn job searching skills.
- InvestorEdge (in-library only) - Stock fundamentals and picks.
- Business Magazines - Full text (read/print/download/email) articles from 2,300 business magazines.
- Wisconsin's Digital Library - Includes access to downloadable ebooks for Kindles and other e-readers as well as downloadable audiobooks.
- NoveList Plus - Book reviews, annotations, etc., for over 200,000 titles.
- Literary Reference Center Plus - Biographies, bibliographies, critical articles about authors and books, perfect for readers and book clubs.
- WorldCat - Search the contents of the world's libraries.
- Book Club Kits - Multiple copies of popular titles available through Madison Public Library.
- Search General Magazines - Full text (read/print/download/email) articles from 1,700 magazines. Click on CITE to get the appropriate citation for your bibliography.
- Business and Academic - Full text (read/print/download/email) articles from 5,000 business and academic magazines.
- Medical - Full text (read/print/download/email) articles from 1,300 medical magazines and journals.
- Consumer Reports - Full access to the Consumer Reports website with product ratings and articles.
- Archive of Wisconsin Newspapers - Daily and weekly newspapers in Wisconsin, starting in 2005 to the present, with an embargo delay of 60 days as well as some historical papers.
- Newspaper Source Plus - Full-text current newspapers and articles, plus television and radio news transcripts, videos & podcasts.
- Newspapers World Collection - Historical newspapers from Wisconsin, the rest of the United States and other countries from the 1700s to the 2000s.
- US Newstream - Current and archival news sources for the United States dating back to the 1980s.
- ProQuest Historical Newspapers: Wisconsin Collection - Full scans of historical newspapers from Wisconsin, including the Rapids Tribune (under various names) from 1890 until almost the present day.
- Rapids/Wood Co. History
- Rapids/Wood Co. Genealogy
- HeritageQuest - Census records and more.
- Ancestry - A major source of genealogical records. Available in library only.
- Recollection Wisconsin - A state-wide collection of photographs and documents, where McMillan houses much of its historical collection.
- Education Research Complete - Full text for more than 1,060 journals and 133 books and monographs.
- PBS Wisconsin Education - Video programs for Wisconsin's K-12 students and teachers, available via streaming or download.
- Professional Development Collection - A highly specialized collection of nearly 550 high quality education journals, including more than 350 peer-reviewed titles.
- TeachingBooks - Resources connecting you and your students to book and author materials that meet your specific grade level and subject areas of interest.
Other On-Line Resources
- Consumer Health Complete - Health and wellness reference books, encyclopedias, reports and fact sheets.
- GreenFILE - Scholarly, government and general-interest titles on the human impact on the environment.
- LISTA - Index to librarianship, classification, cataloging, bibliometrics, online information retrieval, etc.