Pictures in the Album - Part 8


The American Legion Drum and Bugle Corp took first place in the marching units at the convention parade of the Wisconsin Elks Association, August 26, 1939 at Wausau, Wisconsin . The picture of the two members of the drum corps taken by the Milwaukee Journal is correct as to the coloring of the uniform. The large picture is on the same page 125. The smaller picture shows the Corp marching past the Armory on the way to Legion Park for the Decoration Day ceremonial.


On page 125 is shown a small picture showing the Drum Corp in parade past the Armory. On page 20 is a street view which shows the Armory to good advantage. The picture on page 125 shows the structure nearly burned. Fire started in this Armory about 5:40 A.M. November 14, 1938 and it took hard fighting on the part of the Fire Department to keep the fire from burning the two buildings adjoining.

The armory was built on the site of the old store of C. E. Parriseau, a well known general store of notions, not known to be in any other store in town. His trade mark in his "ads" was "Au Bon Marche". In a rather free translation that would be "a good place" that is safe place to trade and the price would be right.

This building was first built September 1909 by the Grand Rapids Amusement Association. It was a businessmen's endeavor to provide a local assembly place for any public gathering. The Local unit of the Wisconsin Rapids Battery E of the National G Guard was organized in 1921 and in 1924 they bought the property of the Amusement Company.

The fire damage is estimated to this and adjoining property at $50,000. There is serious doubt that the Armory will ever be rebuilt and if this is not decided in a few months the local Battery will lose their organization and it will be awarded to some other locality, possibly to Stevens Point, Wisconsin.


September 2, 1939, Miss Florence Bach was crowned the Queen at ceremonies conducted by the Junior Chamber of Commerce of this city. The Field House was packed for the occasion. The Queen will be the ambassador of good will from the city introducing Wood County grown cranberries to various cities in the south and west. The pictures on page 133, were taken at the corner of Fourth and Oak. Drum Corp is escort.


Fire burned a great deal of the original second floor of this building as to require rebuilding. Page 34 of the Pictorial book shows the store as it was before the fire, with the semi cupola. The view on page 129 shows the remodeling and the completed structure. This fire occurred April 23, 1937. This caused several changes in the occupancy. Montgomery Ward and Company made its first entry into the city and the Nash Hardware moved from this front on the east end to the west front location. The whole building was remodeled and several new tenants brought in.

The earlier history of this building is previously written in connection with the picture on page 34 to which refer.


The picture on page 127 is that of the four officers of the Rebeka Lodge. Top row right - Mrs. Otto Hentschell, treasurer; Mrs. George Cook, vice-grand; lower left - Mrs. Joe Hollmiller, secretary; Mrs. Herman Loock, noble grand. From June 3 to 5, 1935, the eighty-ninth convention of the Grand Lodge of the I. O. O. F. of Wisconsin and the fiftieth anniversary of the Rebeka Assembly was held at the Field House of Lincoln School.

It is estimated that 1,000 delegates registered and the convention was rated as the largest in the history of the state organization. The past grand master J. B. Chas of Oconto sketched the history of the order in brief. The first lodge of the order in the United States was organized April 26, 1819 and the order now has membership of 1,700,000 persons all over the world. Over two hundred and ninety one million dollars in relief of its members

T he p resent offices of the I. O.O. F. lodge are as follows: Fred Bossert, chairman; Irvin Mosher, vice-grand; H . E. Dahlke, treasurer. G. R. Schuman, secretary; Clarence Spaid, Past Grand; Marvin Prosser, financial secretary and William Weller, nobel grand.


This sportsmen's club is the oldest of its kind in Central Wisconsin. On August 20, 1938 it held its 45th annual meeting at the club cottage. This club never failed hold its annual meeting since its formation in 1893. The officers re-elected and held over from last year are A. J. Hasbrouck, president; Dr. Ed. Hougen, vice president; D. B. Philleo, treasurer; Sam Church, secretary succeeds W. H. Reeves. Many changes in the personnel of the club have naturally taken place since its organization.

On page 135 of the Pictorial Book are shown two pictures. At the right is the display of the fine catch of small mouth black bass. The left is more of the camp itself. This picture was taken about the summer of 1892 and was the origin of the later formed Crooked Rift Rod and Reel Club. The location is probably about a mile down river from the present club house. But the beauty of the location and the most splendid fishing inspired the fellows to establish a permanent camp. There were forty-five small mouth black bass in the catch.

Later, Otto Roenius, for sometime, held the record for the size of fish caught. He left the club house one morning and rowed across the river to a small island not far from west shore. His catch was large but the prize was three small mouth black bass each weighing not less than three and three-quarter pounds.

The men from left to right; Will Martin and George Baker, Sr. in the center Alex Muir, standing in rear, Ed Whitney, right end of string John Nagler, a friend of the Hougens and Goggins from Chilton, Billy Jones, sitting John Daly, druggist, stand Richard Wipperman.

At the view of the tents  lying down [Will Wheelan added above] Will Martin, William Scott, John Daly. Geo Davis, Richard Wipperman, Ed Whitney, Chas Pomainville, ? - ? Geo. Martin standing - Anton Hirzy, Louis Schroeder, Dr. Telfer


Members of the Wisconsin Rapids Chapter of the American War Mothers at the dedication of the bronze tablet and Memorial stone shown in the group picture page 121 are left to right, Mrs. Jacob Bever, Mrs. Carl Antholfer, Mrs. John Severance, Mrs. J. J. Looze, Mrs. Minnie Palmatier, Mrs. Mary Dolon, Mrs. Georgiana Buckley, Mrs. Anna Namesnick.

The bronze tablet Memorial which they located at the south end of the Legion Park - swimming pool location - was dedicated November 11, 1938. The boulder is of native granite on which is mounted a bronze tablet on which is inscribed "In Memory of American War Mothers- Erected by Wisconsin Rapids Chapter Aug. 6, 1938"

The tablet was unveiled by Mrs. Georgiana Buckley. In attendance in the group were Mrs. J. .J. Looze, a past state president and Mrs. Minnie Palmatier, chapter president.

I find no place that does not breathe
Some gracious memory of my friend.
Tennyson, In Memoriam


A member of one of the earliest families to settle in the community, died at his home November 28, 1938. Mr. Philleo was born here January 29, 1866, son of Mr. and Mrs. Hart B. Philleo. At the time of his death he was secretary of the Prentiss Wabers Products Company. Earlier in life, he was associated in various mercantile activities and as bookkeeper with the First National Bank and later with the Wood County National Bank. From 1913, became cashier of the Citizens National Bank and remained with it until it closed. He was survived by his son and his family and his sister, Mrs. Guy Nash, two brothers, Edward and Charles.

Dean Philleo was a genial, witty associate and loyal friend.

W. J. Fisher:

W. J. Fisher, one of the two remaining members of the Wood County Post G. A. R. died at the Riverview hospital, April 24, 1935 at the age of 90. Wilson Jewel Fisher was born in Pennsylvania, November 12, 1844. He enlisted in the Civil War. After seeing service up and down the Mississippi River in the Eleventh Illinois Infantry, he was mustered out July, 1865, and was transferred to the Forty-Sixth Regiment of Illinois. All men received their final discharge from this group in the latter part of October, 1865 at New Orleans, Louisiana.

Mr. Fisher was a well-known figure in the city life and the first thought of him is that of a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was ordained in the church soon after completing his studies at Rock River Academy at Mount Morris, Illinois. In 1905, he gave up the ministerial work and moved to Wisconsin Rapids and entered the employ of the Nekoosa Edwards Paper Company. He remained with this company for eighteen years, then retired. While at school he met Miss Charlotte E. Case and they were married in 1868. The next prominent place in memory regarding Rev. Fisher was as prelate in the Masonic services and especially of the deceased brothers of the order. Particularly impressive was his conducting of the burial services at his son's funeral, Warren Fisher.

For the past several years Mr. Fisher and James D. Gibson were the only representatives of the G. A. R. and Mr. Gibson followed Mr. Fisher in the roll call in July 7, 1938.

Mr. Fisher was a very pleasant man to meet and cheerful friend in adversity. Mrs. Fisher preceded him six years previously. Of the four children there are two living, Dr. Ben B. Fisher of Wild Rose, Wisconsin and Mrs. J. V. Berens of Stevens Point. His daughter-in-law, Mrs. Kate Fisher and grandson Bruce live in Wisconsin Rapids. In all, there were eight grand-children and two great-grandchildren.

Ruth W. Mead
A tribute by Stanton W. Mead

Mrs. Mead was the wife of George W. Mead and the daughter of the late Jere D. Witter and Emily L. Witter of this city. Mrs. Mead was born in this city, then called Grand Rapids, on October 29, 1875, and died in this same city August 24, 1939 at her beautiful residence on The Island.

Mr. Isaac P. Witter is a surviving brother and Mrs. R. F. Johnson is a surviving sister by adoption. The J. D. Witter residence was on Third Street South on the site of the present residence of Mr. and Mrs. I. P. Witter.

Mrs. Mead attended the local schools, graduating from the Howe High School, following that was a member of the Class of 1896 at the University of Wisconsin and finished her education by a year of travel and study in Europe, at Lausanne, Switzerland, Paris, and Berlin. She enjoyed French literature and French conversation throughout her life.

Her marriage to George W. Mead of Rockford, Illinois took place on October 18, 1899. They resided at Rockford until the fall of 1902 when they moved to Wisconsin Rapids, Together they planned and built their beautiful home on The Island in 1912, and in 1930 they acquired and improved their Miami Beach home in Florida where subsequent winters have been spent.

Mrs. Mead sustained a strong loyalty to Wisconsin Rapids, its institutions and its people, all through life. She was bound to the community be tradition, by friendships, by having shared in its development, by continued interest in the pulse of its activity. New generations came under her loving observation from the minute of birth, so there was hardly a child which she could not identify and place in the pattern of relationships and connections. As High School graduating classes came on, year after year, her mail box became laden with Commencement Invitation cards sent by her admirers and each was favored with a remembrance.

Mrs. Mead's choice of friends and appraisal of character was based on what one term true values. She tolerated no superficiality, hypocrisy, not inconsistency. She believed in the deep, abiding principles of Christianity, actively, persistently, - by personal example and by encouragement of them in others. She loved people, forming her friendships among those in all circumstances, and in all fields of endeavor. People loved her, enjoying their contacts with her and delightful conversations when meeting her.

Mrs. Mead loved beauty in all forms. Her appreciation of it was contagious and inspired others. She expressed this love of beauty creatively in her home and gardens, she fostered it for others in supporting art and beauty in literature, music, drama, painting, and architecture. She supported every civic undertaking of this nature and offered her home on many occasions for concerts and lectures.

Mrs. Mead loved most of all her home and family, fulfilling first her position as wife and mother. Her family life with Mr. Mead, her three children, her two daughters-in-law and one son-in-law, and her nine grandchildren continued as a constant sourse of happiness and inspiration to her. Second only to her home was the interest in the Congregational church and in the Church and Sunday School activities, which she supported and in which she exercised leadership and devoted attention throughout her life.

Mrs. Ruth W. Mead is survived by her husband, George W. Mead, by her two sons, Stanton W. Mead and Walter L. Mead, by her daughter, Mrs. Emily M. Baldwin, and by nine grandchildren.


Claredona Kraus Hougen, a leading Wisconsin Rapids Clubwoman and member of the school board died [June 17, 1939 added in pencil] at 5:30 a.m. at General Hospital at Madison at the age of fifty-eight.

Mrs. Hougen was the wife of Dr. Edward Hougen. Mrs. Hougen was born at Menasha and when very small her parents moved to Pittsville where her father, M. Kraus was engaged in the Webster Manufacturing Company.

She was born October 22, 1880. She was married to Dr. Edward Hougen Sept. 27, 1900 at Arpin, Wisconsin. They moved to Pittsville, Wisconsin where they lived until 1913 when they moved to Wisconsin Rapids. Mrs. Hougen has been a member of the school board since 1913 where she served in a very capable way. She was also a member of the P. E. O. Sisterhood and Eastern Star.

She is survived by her husband and four sons, Rupert K. - Donald - Richard T. - and Dr. Ed. T.

Mrs. Hougen was a most genial lady and a real friend.


Robert A. McDonald died [1939 added in pencil] at Wisconsin Rapids at the age of eighty. Mr. McDonald, was born at Calais, Maine and came to Wisconsin as a boy and attended school at Oshkosh, Wisconsin. In 1885, he moved to Vesper and entered the employ as hotel manager of the Sherry - Cameron Company. In 1896, he and his family moved to Centralia. In 1900, he became postmaster. In 1904, the post office from the two sides of the river was consolidated and Mr. McDonald became assistant postmaster until 1908 when he was appointed postmaster which position held until 1914. Mr. McDonald was engaged in several activities the most prominent of which was the organizing of the Palace Theatre in 1914. He sold the business in 1920 and retired.

Mr. McDonald is survived by his wife and two sons, Robert Jr. and Bart.



John Purves, manager of the Biron division of the Consolidate Water Power & Paper Co died Feby 19, 1936 at the age of 60. Mr. Purves was a trained mill engineer in the paper industry, receiving his early experiences in England. 1905 he came to United States and was made manager of the Tilestone, Holllongsworth Paper Co at Boston, Mass. In 1918 he came to Wisconsin and was mechanical engineer for the Combined Locks Paper Company at Appleton. In 1918 he became general superintendent of the International Paper Co. In 1921 he left Appleton and accepted the position of expert to supervise equipment for making papermill machinery for the Port Arthur Ship Building Co at Port Arthur, Canada.

In 1922 he moved to Wisconsin Rapids and became manager of the Biron Division of the Consolidated. Mr. Purves was a very public spirited Christian gentleman and with Mrs. Purves were very active in the work of the Congregational Church. He is survived by Mrs. Purves.


Mr. Arpin died at his home at the age of 73. He was born in this city April 4, 1864.  June 9, 1880 he graduated with the first class to graduate from the Howe school. Mr. Arpin entered University of Madison but was obligated to retire on account of ill health. In his travels he was in Colorado for a time and met and married Bertha Neinstedt and returned here. In 1900 with his brother D. J. Arpin and father John Arpin they formed the John Arpin Lumber Co and built mills and conducted a successful lumber business at Arpin, Wis. For many years.

Mr. Arpin was active in local affairs and one of the organizers of the local telephone company. At the time of his death he was president of the T. B. Scott. Mrs. Arpin preceded him in death some years ago. Survived are the sons – Daniel - George - Richard and one daughter Mrs. Beeman. Harold died several years ago.


Mr. Gibson at the age of 90 died July 7, 1938. Mr. Gibson is the last member of the Wood County Post No. 22 Grand Army of the Republic and at his death this Post passed out of existence to-day.

James D. Gibson marched with the Union armies in the Civil War mustered out at 6:15 p.m. this date.

Mr. Gibson passed his 90th birthday on June 23 last. He became a resident of Wood County in 1874 and moved into Centralia in 1894 where re resided for 44 years. Mr. Gibson was best known and remembered as chief of police and took office in 1900 which position he held until 1917. Mr. Gibson held many other positions in city and county. For many years he was marshal for city of Centralia before his appointment as chief under the consolidated city. Before coming to town he was county superintendent at the poor farm. Mrs. Gibson died in 1917. The only and surviving son is Charles Gibson.


Mr. Goggins was one of the eminent and lead members of the lawyers of Wisconsin. He died at Wisconsin Rapids at age of 80, Sept. 2, 1937.

Mr. Goggins was one of the early principals when the Howe school was the high school of Grand Rapids, taking the position November 1884. 

Mr. Goggins left here and entered the University at Madison and graduated June 1890. He was district attorney November 1892. Mr. Goggins was elected president of the State Bar Association from 1916 -1917.

U. S. Attorney Gregory appointed him as his special assistant for the state at the time of the World War for years 1917-1918.

In 1900 with T. W. Brazeau he formed the partnership of Goggins & Brazeau. On the consolidated of Centralia and Grand Rapids Mr. Goggins was elected as the first mayor of the united Grand Rapids. In 1931 B. R. Graves of Sparta, Wis. joined the firm and it remained so until Mr. Goggins death. The firm continued the law firm as Brazeau & Graves. Mr. Goggins possessed fearless courage and wonderful physical strength in spite of the trouble with his leg. Through all he maintained a cheerful attitude and optimism.

He is survived by Mrs. Goggins and his sons Hugh - Robert - and William.


Sam Church, one of the city's oldest and best liked merchants, died Dec 18, 1938. Mr. Church was born in Canada at Flamboro, Ontario, December 18, 1868. Mr. Church operated a drug store on west side for 40 years. He served as county clerk from 1916 to 1933 and won universal commendation for his helpful assistance during the World War period and much county activities passed through his office. Previous to the election as county clerk he was city treasurer for four years. Sam was a very active and helpful citizen, sharing the local affairs. He was survived by his wife and one daughter Lucille Bronson.


John J. Henry died at Palo Alto, Cal. Sept 18, 1937 at age of 91. John Henry was one of the local pioneers who located here in 1864 and recalled crossing over on Lavigne's ferry that landed on the east side at Herschleb bakery location. Mr. Henry worked for the pioneer lumber firm of Howe & Rablin hauling supplies from New Lisbon to Tomahawk and Eagle River. He became street commissioner and his earlier connection with the old town of Grand Rapids began in 1893 and continued without a break for 27 years.

His most familiar known position was in the drivers seat on the fire engine and always drove grey teams. He was married in 1872. Mrs. Henry died in January of 1940. Eight of the 11 children survived him. John Henry and T. A. Taylor, then chairman of the building and grounds committee of the schools built the first skating rink, for the children, on the Howe school grounds.


R. S. Payne died on Highway 13 south of Adams about 8:30 p.m. Friday Nov 10, 1939. A struggle with two boys that Chief Payne and undersheriff Bluett had in their car resulted in a heart attack that ended Chief Payne's life.

Roland S. Payne was a native son of Wood County and born in the town of Seneca Oct. 25, 1874. He was educated in the local schools and then worked in the mills here until 1892 when we went into the "woods" for Daly & Sampson to regain his health.

In 1896 he went with the Centralia Pulp & Water Power Co at south side where he stayed until 1912. He then took examination and was appointed on the police force of Grand Rapids and on the retirement of Chief Gibson he was raised to office of Chief in 1917 and served in that capacity until his death. He is survived by his wife and one daughter Lola Ellen who acted as his desk sergeant for a number of years and was continued in this position by the new chief. A well liked official and commended for his work.


Lawrence M. Nash, for over 60 years active in wide diversity of business and civic interests in this community passed away at 7:40 Saturday evening March 21, 1936 at the age of 82 years. In 1927 Mr. Nash fell down an elevator shaft as his store and suffered a severely broken foot which laid him up for several months. He recovered and was able to attend to business. On March tenth last he suffered a severe heart attack which gradually grew worse and never recovered.

Mr. Nash was born at Stoughton, Wis January 28, 1854. In 1870 he went to Fond du Lac where his brother T. E. Nash was station agent. While there he learned telegraphy and later held various station for the railroads. In 1874 he became station agent and later held various station for the railroads. In 1874 he became station agent for the Green Bay & Western Ry at Grand Rapids and one year later changed over to Centralia for the C. M. & St Paul. With W. T. Jones he organized the hardware firm of Jones & Nash. This business later was merged with J. D. Witter, N. Johnson and G. M. Hill and became the Centralia Hardware Company. Mr. Nash bought out his partners and organized the Nash Hardware Co. This company continues to operate by his sons Charles & George. Mr. Nash was a power in the local Democratic party.

 Sept. 25, 1877 Mr. Nash married Amerlia Lefebvre. Mr. Nash is survived by his widow and one daughter Mrs. George Mullen and sons - William, Charles, Neil and George. Robert who was at one time postmaster and Lawrence who was an executive of the Nekoosa - Edwards Paper Co preceded him in death. Mr. Nash was buried with full ceremonies of the Catholic Church.


Bert Bever, Clerk of Wood County Circuit Court from 1904 to 1936, died at his home at the age of 58. Mr. Bever was president of the Board of Education since 1932. One of the most efficient County Clerks Wood County ever had. Surviving him is his widow, Mrs. Celia - one daughter Mrs. Lenan - sons - Martin and Lawrence

See Page 127 for pictures in large book


Mr. Briere, a locally prominent attorney died at this home suddenly from cerebral hemorrhage at age of 52. May 21, 1936

Mr. Briere was born in this city and spent his life time here.

Mr. Briere graduated from Howe High school and then entered the University at Madison and received his degree of B. L. in 1906.

He was admitted to the firm of Goggins, Brazeau and Briere in which company he remained for four years and retired to open his own office.

Mr. Briere was several time mayor and member of the county board

He was survived by his widow and two children by his first wife.

He was rated as a lawyer of high rank.


Mr. Philleo, a lifetime resident of this community, died at his home April 21, 1935 at age of 75. He was the eldest son of one of the earliest pioneer families. His father's picture - H. B. Philleo - is shown on page 29

Mr. Philleo was born in the then town of Grand Rapids Feby. 11, 1860.

He attended the local schools and early entered the news paper business with his father. When J. D. Witter opened the Bank of Centralia in 1887 Mr. Philleo was selected as its first cashier. In 1900 he was engaged by the Kellogg Bros Lumber Co from whose employ he retired after 32 years employment, Mr. Philleo retired because of ill health about three years ago

He was active member of both the Masonic and Elks Lodges. Funeral services were conducted by the Masonic order. Mr. Philleo was married to Minnie Spafford Feby 11, 1885. Miss Spafford was also a member of one of the earliest pioneer families. Mrs. Philleo died March 29, 1929. Surviving Mr. Philleo is the only daughter Mrs. Otto Labus.


This pioneer newspaper editor and postmaster died October 31, 1936 at 4:15 pm at the age of 77. Mr. Fontaine's career as editor has been previously reviewed in former pages and his portrait will be found on page 29.

After selling out the "Reporter" in 1923 he devoted all of his time as postmaster to which he was appointed in 1912 and held continuously for 22 years. At the time of his death he had retired from business activities.

He was survived by his widow Ruth and Jannett.


Such is the inscription on the tablet on the boulder in the south end of the Legion Park. This tablet was unveiled by Mrs. Georgiana Buckley in the presence of the several War Mothers on Armistice Day Nov 11, 1938.

The eleven members present showing in the picture are-left to right-

Mrs. Jacob Bever - Mrs. Carl Anthofer - Mrs. John Severance - Mrs. J. J. Looze, Past state president - Mrs. Georgiana A Buckeley - and Mrs. Anna Namesnick.


May 22, 1939 The 15th Observation squadron arrived at the Tri-City airport to-day with nine ships of line and about 100 officers and men. The squadron will camp for two weeks during which time maneuvers will take place and a mock war will be a part of the movements and a combat at Camp Douglas in which about 7000 regular army troops will engage.

Major Raphael Baez Jr. is the squadron's No 1 officer. Major Baez generously gave the Library the three air pictures. The two top pictures on page 126 were purchased from the Chicago Aerial Co and these were taken in 1931. The pictures taken by the squadron photographer are next below and give the views as of this date. The Consolidated and west side showing Lowell school - the other the center of town and the Lincoln school with the field diamond distinctly in evidence. The third picture in page 127 is a view of the camp in tents at the airport. The print showing the officers was taken from the Wisconsin Rapids Tribune at the time of the squadron's visit.


This picture shown on page 127 was taken the night of the dedication of the new lighting system for night games. It was taken from the roof of the field house. Dedication game was played September 1935. A night foot ball .


Lloyd L. Felker Co of Marshfield Wis. purchased the Julian Hotel property July 15, 1939. This hotel is shown on page 40 with the band stand in the foreground This picture was taken before the City Hall was built. The Felker Co completed the gas station as shown in the picture on page 133 and their opening was about the 12 of January, 1940. The Julian was built in 1908.

City Hall shows off better with the Julian Hotel removed. City Hall was built in 1917.


Mr. and Mrs. Frank Eckardt bought the Citizens Bank building and remodeled it into an 800 seat theatre and movie house. The interior was beautifully decorated and its equipment ranks with the best. The picture of the building and the block in shown on page 132.

Page 121 - Old Saw mill page 8
Severe Biron operated the saw mill at  Biron previous to selling to the Grand Rapids Pulp & Paper Co. the picture shown on page 121 shows the crew of many well known frenchmen who, in an early day worked for Biron's father.


Next picture of typical logging camp is on page 121. The picturesque ox teams were a great necessity in logging camps.


The small map on page 121 is that of a proposed railroad in 1858 that started at Portage and camp up river and crossed at Port Edwards and on toward St. Paul. It was never built because of lack of financial aid. It would have been a fine project for this section of Wisconsin


In the small pared area near the C. M. & St. P & P Rd station is a cement block about twelve inches square on top and setting up about ten inches from the ground. In the center of the top of this block is a bronze plate. This plate is round and about three inches in diameter.

Around the outer rim starting at the upper left hand, about an inch above the center line the lettering begins with "U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey." Around the lower half of the circle it reads "Bench Mark". On the inner circle, located in a similar manner as the outer circle it reads "ELEV 10007.144 feet " and around the bottom of same inner circle it reads "ABOVE MEAN SEA LEVEL". In the center of the plate is the mark D 8/1930"

There are several of these marks placed in town. One at the City Hall and another in the foundation line of the First National Bank addition. To these bench marks surveyors refer. Such markers are placed at other points along the Wisconsin River. The one at the Dessert Library at Mosinee is often referred to in the agreements relating to the lake, river and reservoir levels.


Starting in 1922 Quesnel and Louis Gross started in the delivery and trucking business with a few horse and small number of trucks.

August 1, 1922 they formed the Gross Brothers' Delivery Company. They had no terminal facilities nor contracts with any large shippers.

In the fall of 1931 they built the new and well appointed warehouse. This is a brick one story , with basements, 60 x 100 feet and operated 16 units of truck equipment. In 1939 they enlarged this with several additions and a garage 40 x 60 feet - office 33 x 20 and two docks, one 10 x 50 and the other 10 x 100 feet. They now operate 30 pieces of equipment ranging from small one ton to the ten tons jobs. Their total tonnage handled in 1939 was over 13,000 tons. They have become distributors for eight packing houses and their franchise permits them to haul into any point in the State of Wisconsin. They also haul into 5 states and to large merchandising houses. 

The large picture is shown on page 132. This warehouse is on the location of the old F. Mackinnon Mfg Co shown page 76.


September 10 of this year was the heaviest flood of positive record on the Wisconsin River. It made a record of 14 feet on the 11th. The river flow was estimated at 69, 500 cubit feet per second, probably equaling the flood of 1880 which was estimated at 70,000 cubit feet per second but not from an actual records. Views of the river in flood shown on page 134. It illustrates the water between the Consolidated mill and its dam - a view across from the Consolidated mill towards east side wall - and view taken below the bridge showing the height of water under the arches.


On page 134 the camera presents views of the mill from several positions to show the effect of the new addition containing the number 5 machine.

 February 7, 1938 is the day the first continuous run of coated paper came off of the new number 5 machine.

The first 4500 pounds of marketable paper was made to-day. This new number 5 machine turns off a sheet of smooth 125 inch endless sheet of coated paper and this paper will travel around the world as the fascinating pages of "Life" the weekly picture magazine.

Number 5 machine was built especially to turn out coated paper - a process invented by the engineers of the Consolidated - for the publishers of "Life".

Number 5 machines will turn out an estimated 100 tons of paper daily of 24 hours. These pictures were taken September 10, 1938.

BIRON MILL page 135

The camera shows a picture of Biron Mill with its latest addition to take care of the new installation for making coated paper.

On the same page is shown views of the Stevens Point hydro plant and the paper mill and also the Appleton mill.


Equally interesting is an old picture entered on this page showing the foundation beginnings of the first Consolidated mill, taken in 1903.


On page [130] the latest addition to the Ahdawagam plant is shown. This addition is 248 x 280 , and is the perfectly appointed section of this plant. This addition was built during the summer of 1939. The company business for 1939 was 12,000 tons.

[the following is handwritten]
These two books brought up to January 1, 1940. Delivered to the Library March 1, 1940.

T. A. Taylor.